Chemotherapy is one of the main oncological treatment that should treat, control or keep the disease under control. Even that chemotherapy treatment has been used for a long time, researchers continue to find new chemicals and combinations of treatment that can help prevent the growth and the multiplication of cancer cells.
What is chemotherapy?
Chemotherapy involves intravenous injection of chemicals that have a major role in destroying or slowing down cancer cells. There are over 100 different chemicals used to treat cancer and new ones will be launched next year. Choosing the right substances for chemotherapy is necessary taking into account:
- The type of cancer;
- The form of cancer cells seen at the microscope;
- The cancer spread;
- Actual patient health status;
How is chemotherapy used?
Chemotherapy can be used as a single treatment or in parallel with radiotherapy, surgery or hormone therapy in the treatment of the following types of cancer:
- Uterine cervical cancer;
- Bone cancer;
- Skin cancer;
- Stomach cancer;
- Colorectal cancer;
- Throat Cancer;
- Prostate cancer;
- Breast cancer;
- Lung cancer.
How does chemotherapy work?
If the doctor recommends chemotherapy treatment, an important point is to understand how the treatment works and what are its goals when choosing this way of healing . There are three main goals in cytostatic chemotherapy:
- Treatment – If the disease is not at an advanced stage, cytostatic treatment can be used with curative intent;
- Control – Chemotherapy treatment may have the role of shrinking the tumor or stopping it from growing. This type of treatment allows the cancer patient to feel better and live longer;
- Relief of symptoms – when the disease is at an advanced stage and cancer cells can no longer be controlled, spreads to other organs chemotherapy with cytostatic treatment only serves to relieve the pain of the patient.
What can be the side effects of chemotherapy treatment?
Because the substances used in the chemotherapy treatment circulate throughout all body, healthy cells are also affected and side effects may occur. Healthy cells most affected during cytostatic chemotherapy are those in the bone marrow, hair follicles, in the mouth, the digestive tract and the reproductive system. Fortunately, over the past 20 years, medical research has advanced and the side effects of chemotherapy can now be tackled with special medications.
The most common side effects of cytostatic treatment are:
- Hair loss;
- Bruises and bleeding;
- Nausea and vomiting;
- Difficulty swallowing;
- Muscle pain;
- Weight changes;
- Fertility problems.
How many drugs patients take when treated?
Cytostatic drugs are administered in a private clinic or hospital. Intravenous chemotherapy is performed with implants, ports or implants and pumps for continuous infusion. In clinics and hospitals in Vienna, specialized nurses are constantly overseeing the administration of cytostatic treatment. Generally, each type of cancer has a different type of chemotherapy called generic regimens. It depends on the type and the stage of the disease, the pattern of treatment and tolerance specific. This is the oncologist choice.
Costs of Chemotherapy
Depending on the cancer you are suffering, the price of chemotherapy sessions differs. For each type of cancer, a certain treatment schedule is made, with a certain number of sessions. To find out more about the price of chemotherapy in Austria, you can contact us here.
Doctors treating you in Austria through AT-MED
Prof. Univ. Dr. Christian Singer, obstetrician-gynecologist
Prof. Univ. Dr. Johannes Drach, internist, specialist in haemato-oncology
Prof. Univ. Dr. Schillinger Martin, cardiologist, angiologist
Prof. Univ. Dr. Ulrich Steinhart, obstetrician-gynecologist
Dr. Rainer Kotz, Orthopedics and endoprotection
When you contact AT-MED please keep in mind the following:
- Every medical consultation costs 150 – 300 EUR depending on the doctor’s specialization and the complexity of your medical case.
- The cost of every oncological therapy session starts from 4900 EUR.
- Imagery interpretation costs 150 EUR.
- In order to answer your request in maximum 48 hours we need your complete medical record with information about previous interventions, treatments and therapies, smoking habits, allergies as well as important medical information about 1st degree relatives.
- Please send the entire archived file in a single e-mail (to email@example.com). Sending files in multiple e-mails as well as in several Whatsapp conversations slows down the diagnose process.
- For emergencies please call directly at 0786787878, at any hour.